Hello Angie here to share with you some designer tips on how to create a mixed media canvas. These are five tips I usually do to create my mixed media art.
Before we go into the tips here is my mixed media piece. I created this piece using the brand new Collecting Moments line.
Collecting Moments Homework Paper / Collecting Moments Potpourri Paper / Collecting Moments Golden Road Paper / Collecting Moments Bingo Night Paper / Collecting Moments Rosewood Paper /Collecting Moments Jackpot Paper / Collecting Moments Domino Paper / Collecting Moments Sticker Fundamentals / Collecting Moments Large Decorative Tag / Collecting Moments Flair / Collecting Moments Button Set / Collecting Moments Clothespin
Now onto the tips:
1. Background Papers: I always go for a paper (or papers) that are great for backgrounds. They are can be a more muted color or have a soft feel to them. To place this paper on the canvas I use Mod Podge.
2. Gesso: Next I tone down the paper with some gesso. You can use as little or as much as you want. Gesso is great because you can make your background paper as see through as much as you want. I wanted to see the design a little so I didn't add a lot of Gesso.
3. Mist & Paint: After that dries I like to add my mist and paint. I usually add them by either spraying or using a paint brush. I then go around the outside of the canvas with a paint dauber.
4. Design: I then place my design on the canvas. For this process I look around for inspiration (pinterest, galleries, stores like Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, ect).
5. Details: Last is those little details that just make the canvas pop. For this one I used a flair, buttons, chipboard pieces, and stickers. I also used a pen to doodle around the canvas.
I hope I have inspired you to create your own canvas. If you do please link it up in the comments below.