Today I will be showing you how I turned a simple, inexpensive acrylic frame into this cute desk center, featuring my granddaughter! This would make a great gift and is a great addition to your home or office décor!
Fancy Pants Designs supplies:
Childish Things: Buddy, Big Boy Guy, Snacktime, Strips, Cards, Recorder patterned papers
Childish Things: Chipboard Pieces
Childish Things: Filter Embellishments
Childish Things: Buttons
Childish Things: Trim Card
Childish Things: Alpha Stickers
Childish Things: Rub-ons
Double Alpha Rub-ons
Little Sprout: Lace Border Glitter Cuts (2)
adhesives (I used Tombow Power Adhesives, Stamp Runner and Foam Tabs)
twine or crochet thread
sticky note pad
Don’t forget to ink your pieces as you go if you like!
1. The base pieces are cut to 5”x7”, (Big Boy Guy & Snacktime) and I’ve added some layers with the striped Recorder paper (1 ½” x 7”) and our border glitter cuts from the Little Sprout line. Slide these into your frame.
2. For the sticky note pad base, cut a blue piece of Buddy paper to 3 ½ ” x 3 ½ ”, and take a 2” piece of the Childish Things woven ribbon and staple to the bottom of the square to make the pen loop—tuck a pen in to make sure it isn’t too small or too big before you staple! Adhere to the right side of the frame. This is where it gets fun, because we are adding dimension by layering on top of the frame itself!
3. For the photo mat, cut a piece of the Strips paper (green side), to 3 ¼” x 4 3/8”. For the inner mat, cut a piece 3”x4”. To make it so that you can change out the picture, add clear photo corners to the smaller mat and adhere together.
4. From the Cards paper, use a circle punch to punch out the phrase “you have my heart” and tuck just behind the green photo mat at the lower left edge. Adhere this to the left side of the vertical portion of the frame.
5. Tie the green lace trim all the way around the bend in the frame, putting your bow just under your picture. You may need to put some adhesive behind the knot to hold in place!
6. Add a small chipboard heart to the lower left corner of the photo mat, just sticking to the photo corner. Personalize the picture with the blue chipboard banner, using the Childish Things rub-ons and the Double Alpha rub-ons. I only attached it to the green photo mat and where it hits the frame. Because the back will still be sticky you can dust a bit with powder and get rid of the stickiness.
7. Make two rolled flowers out of patterned paper. Click here for a great tutorial from Scrapbook and Cards Today—except that I only used 2” & 3” circles!
8. I also made a yo-yo flower using the coordinating filter embellishments. For a step-by-step tutorial click here. Attach a button with the string and tie in a bow.
9. Decorate your desk center with the flowers and chipboard pieces. Notice that I used the alpha stickers on the base paper that is slid into the frame. This gives another element of dimension to the product as you decorate with your chipboard pieces on top of the frame. For the little horse chipboard piece I stacked a couple of foam squares on the back to keep it standing up.
10. You’ll find the template for the blank calendar here. You can slide each month in the frame, or build a tear off calendar on top of the frame using brads or staples.
11. My frame was a bit top heavy because of the chipboard banner—the solution was to attach two mini buttons to the bottom corners of the paper to stabilize it, and a small piece of tape on the back at the bend will keep the top paper from sliding down!
Thanks for stopping by YouTube Tuesday with Fancy Pants Designs. Check back often for new videos and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!